[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Wed May 18 11:23:57 EDT 2011

I wanted to take a second to provide some clarity on this particular email
thread to ensure that everyone's expectations are the same. ARIN Staff
touched base with the Proposal Originator (Mike Burns) and it was confirmed
by Mike that his intent on sending this to PPML was not to formally submit
it but to get feedback from the community prior to formally submitting. With
that in mind, this proposal has not been assigned a Policy Proposal number
as yet and AC shepherds have not been assigned.

Hi John,

I will send it to policy at arin.net today.

The objections I have noted seem to fall in three categories:

1. That's not the way we have historically dealt with addresses.
2. It could lead to disaggregation
3. Hoarders and speculators will appear and will unfairly manipulate price.

As far as 1, my argument is that the historical method was appropriate for
free pool allocations, as it provided the necessary constraint for doling
out valuable resources without a price. The economic concept of the Tragedy
of the Commons holds that without any constraint, that the resources would
be overconsumed. In our world, this would mean that people would grab more
addresses than they could use, unless we constrained them by demonstrated
need. In a post-exhaust world, price would impose that constraint. Our job
as stewards is to make policy to ensure accurate Whois, and to end policies
which provide disincentives for under-utilized addresses to enter the
market, driving up price. Needs requirements designed to constrain the
delivery of free pool addresses are no longer required for stewardship, and
maintaining them for transfers threatens Whois accuracy, whose stewardship
we maintain.

As far as 2, this danger seems to be manageable, and there haven't been too
many objections related to this lately. I have argued that the stewards of
the APNIC region, led by Geoff Huston, considered this problem when deciding
whether to have needs requirements on transfers, and decided the benefits to
Whois accuracy outweighed the potential disaggregation problems. This cost
is borne most by network operators, who presumably can make decisions on
minimum block size which will allow them to run profitably. Those decisions
will likely shape the transfer market, so nobody expects there to be much
value in a /32 netblock, because network operators find this size
unprofitable to route today. This ability of network operators provides a
constraint on disaggregation in the transfer market.

And as far as 3, I have argued that speculators provide a value to free
markets, that most attempts to corner markets fail, that supply uncertainty
and IPv6 deployment provide a poor environment for speculators. But inasmuch
as this forum is populated by technical types who are making decisions here
based on their understanding of, and philosophy of, economics, I have
decided to take David Farmer's advice and add an anti-speculator,
anti-hoarder protection in the form of a limit of a /12 equivalent for
needs-free transfers per 12 month period. If more transfers than that are
desired, the recipient will have to demonstrate need.

As a whole, then, my policy seeks to recognize that there are transfer
transactions which provide incentives for buyers and sellers of addresses
but which transactions may not meed the needs requirements which ARIN
mandates for transfers. Additionally, I pointed out that network operators,
in my experience, will route addresses whose Whois record does not reflect
that the network operator's customer is the registrant. The network
operator, in my experience, will normally check to make sure that nobody
else is advertising the addresses, and will solicit from the customer some
documentary evidence that the customer has the right to the route the
addresses, and then the network operator will route the addresses.

The net effect of these types of transactions is a lack of trust in the
Whois table as an accurate source to check for authoritative routing rights.
My proposal seeks to reduce the harm to Whois accuracy by extending the
range of allowable transactions, providing additional incentive to have
transfers reflected accurately by ARIN's updating of Whois to reflect the
transfer.

As we move into a trading world, which will happen whether or not my
proposal passes, conflicts over address control are likely to increase, and
the value of trust in Whois as the routing authority will also increase.
Rather than sit back and watch Whois decay, I urge ARIN stewards to consider
making these changes to foster accuracy in Whois.

Regards,
Mike

PS I will change the name to Removing the needs requirement for IPv4
transfers smaller than a /12 and send it in today.