[arin-ppml] Just a reminder of some quick mathematicsfor IPv4that shows the long term impossibility of it

Chris Engel cengel at conxeo.com
Wed May 18 09:43:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011 18:18:02 -0500
Blake Dunlap <ikiris at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not all about you. This is standards development, not your network
> development. All needs must be considered. It is much less work for you to
> do things properly, than to force the rest of the world to do a lot of work
> so you can be lazy.

Until there is an official anouncement apointing you "king of the internet" you don't get to dictate what anyone else impliments on thier own networks. Write standards till your blue in the face. It's not going to stop people from implimenting what makes sense to them. It won't stop vendors from designing and selling solutions that they percieve thier customers want and it won't stop people from voting with thier feet and thier wallets.

Right now the populace of the net has overwhelmingly voted for NAT over IPv6. The comparitive adoption rates of both make that evident. Maybe that'll change in future, maybe not. One thing I'm fairly certain about, as much as some might wish to wax poetic about the "end to end" design of the internet.... the actual users of the internet are overwhelmingly picking other priorties over that, deal with it. Either way, you don't get more then one vote among the billions...no matter how many standards you participate in developing.

Christopher Engel