[arin-ppml] Just a reminder of some quick mathematicsfor IPv4that shows the long term impossibility of it

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Tue May 17 13:13:54 EDT 2011

On 5/17/11 12:45 PM, Blake Dunlap wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:27, Chris Engel <cengel at conxeo.com
> <mailto:cengel at conxeo.com>> wrote:
>
>     (snip)
>

>     I know EXACTLY what NAT does. It does EXACTLY what I INTEND it to do.

(snip some more)

> None of what you just said you want, has anything to do with NAT. This
> is what leads people to believe you don't know what NAT does, even
> while you yell that you do.

And even leaving that aside, I suspect most people here are at least
resigned to NAT at the edge of the end-user network, where it can indeed
be made to do just what the owner of the network desires, or believes he
desires.  What I, and I suspect many others, find much more troubling is
the thought of an arbitrary number of service providers, at an arbitrary
number of points on the network, performing NAT.  That most assuredly
will not result in exactly what the customer wants, assuming they want
anything the least bit more interesting than surfing the web and picking
up their e-mail.

(My view on this is colored by the fact that I dislike trying to explain
to customers why their SIP softphone they're trying to use on a 4th tier
ISP in Egypt, which has at least 2 layers of NAT between him and the
"Internet proper," just isn't going to work like it does at home.)

--Jon Radel