[arin-ppml] New Version of ARIN-prop-126: Compliance Requirement

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Tue May 17 11:01:27 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 21:46, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> In reviewing the responses to the current text I don't think this text is
> ready yet.  I think there is general support for the intent of this policy.
> But there seems to be support for the change Scott is suggesting, I think it
> is a good suggestion too.

Thanks David, I agree that further discussion is warranted, hence my
stated intentions (moving the proposal forward as a draft for further
discussion). Folks that are opposed to the intent of this policy
should speak up if they think the discussion is complete and
abandonment is more appropriate (I believe one person has thus far).

For everyone's reference; the substantive changes are specific to
section 12.6 of the NRPM and include:
1) Lowering the minimum time given to organizations that are out of
compliance from six months to 90 days.
2) Adding the ability for ARIN to remove rDNS before revoking space
with a minimum of 30 days given to orgs to respond.
3) The current proposal text requires staff to remove rDNS after an
org is unresponsive for 60 days. (removing this requirement has been
discussed with no objections)
* The proposal retains the final sentence of that section which allows
staff to provide more time where appropriate.

While I do not want to rush text changes, it would be very informative
to know which of the three changes are supported and/or opposed.

> Additionally, I'm still not fully comfortable with the details of how
> breaking RDNS will be implemented by staff.  I'm not sure this is a policy
> issue itself, but I would like to see some implementation recommendations
> included, like that when RDNS service has been withdrawn that is directly
> visible in Whois to everyone and there should be an alert for any ARIN
> online accounts that have POCs associated with the resource, similar to how
> the invalid POC thing is working now.  If we are going to do this it needs
> to jump out a bite you, right now I'm worried that it will be to subtle.

Again, I agree. This is not a policy matter but should be discussed.

Cheers,
~Chris

> --
> David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
> Networking & Telecommunication Services
> Office of Information Technology
> University of Minnesota
> 2218 University Ave SE      Phone: 612-626-0815
> Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952

@ChrisGrundemann
weblog.chrisgrundemann.com
www.burningwiththebush.com
www.theIPv6experts.net