[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Tom Vest tvest at eyeconomics.com
Sun May 15 16:46:01 EDT 2011

On May 15, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I don't think we will have to rely on "moments of controlled disclosure" you describe, involving NDA-covered private network information to the local registrar, simply to have accurate contact information.
> Why?
> Because proper registration is going to be the effective proof of ownership.
> As the value of control of  IP assets becomes more widely known, and higher, in the face of free pool exhaust, those who control these rights will be motivated by their desire to publicy record their rights in a registry.

That outcome may be "guaranteed" by some theory about the connection between property and incentives, but it is not well supported by any facts that anyone might plausibly regard as relevant to this case. One counterexample is provided by the case of HM Land Registry that I already mentioned. There's hasn't been any "free land" in the UK since the Enclosures, and I doubt anyone would dispute that UK land has appreciated in value -- or that squatters are a risk -- and yet those facts alone haven't been sufficient to motivate a substantial share of UK landowners to participate in a (before 2009) 100% free registry with no barriers to entry.

> When addresses are free, conflict over their control is limited, and proof of ownership much less important.

Really? Would anyone on nsp-sec care to chime in to respond to the claim that conflicts over the "control of IP addresses" haven't been much of problem over the last two decades?

For the purposes of both this particular claim, and *your own proposal*, the alleged primary concern is "whois accuracy,"  and the alleged (secondary) contributor to that end is ownership by those who are unable or unwilling to undergo a nee/capability test. Let's stick to your own proposal, because debating philosophy will not be productive.

> When conflict rises, along with value, and there is no tangible "certificate of control", getting the authoritative registry recognition is more important.
> I believe John Curran referenced an increase in the processing of old 8.2 Transfers, cleaning up old mergers, which I take to be an indication of the motivation I am describing here.
>
> Therefore,  x: (NOT current RSA signatories + NOT willing/able to undergo a need/capability test + ARE certain to self-maintain the quality of their own whois information at historically unprecedented  high levels in perpetuity) is the population I intended to reach with this proposal.

Even if I believed that you're right on this point, my original analysis stands. Your goal is create a positive incentive for some unknown minority segment of unregistered future transfer seekers to abide by registration policies,  at the cost of changing a key element of those policies that contributes to the preservation of whois data accuracy across every other segment of existing and future address users.

But you and I both know that the the sort of property purists that you have used to illustrate the merits of this policy are also very likely to be privacy purists too. So while they may be only too eager to register, their whois entries are likely to consist of nothing more than "Address Owner Inc." plus "thisprefixcouldbeyours$$$@anonymous.com). As first-time registrants who have never had, and would never expect to have any "nontrivial" interaction with the RIR, any information that they'd be likely to share would carefully tuned to maximize their own private advantage with no other considerations whatsoever.

> They will have every incentive to keep their information registred correctly, if only to increase its resale value.

Okay, on that narrow point we agree: aspiring speculators and address flippers are more likely to register, albeit in the manner described above. But the stronger that incentive is, the more likely it is that the addresses in question are kept out of "real production" anyway (the fastest flipper gets the worm!), or alternately that the content of their 100% accurate registrations have no actual value for operational coordination purposes.

Outside of address flippers, many prospective address buyers may wish to register with ARIN, but many may not. Of all the reasons that they might prefer registration over non-registration, or vice versa, the burden of a needs/capability test will almost certainly rank pretty low on that list for most. And for the overwhelming majority for whom this is more than a marginal concern, removing the need/capability test is not going to tip the scales in favor of meaningful registration.

> You call them Saints. I call them normal humans who want some evidence of their valuable control rights.

I guess someone should call the Prime Minister and warn him about the millions of abnormal humans that have been roaming the Brisitsh countryside for the last few centuries.

Seriously, most of the normal humans that I encounter aren't driven by a monomaniacal fixation on establishing and reaffirming evidence of their valuable control rights every moment of every day. Sometimes they forget things, sometimes they get overwhelmed with more immediate demands. I find that many normal humans can rationalize failures to prioritize the reaffirmation of their precious control rights almost indefinitely if they can get away with it -- especially if the act of reaffirming those rights entails waiting in line, filling out forms, being questioned about sensitive personal matters by strangers whose interests and incentives are suspect, or generally spending even the smallest time or effort doing anything outside of what they would classify as "work" or "fun." It's just human nature -- at least among the normal humans that I know.

> All your groups, x,y,and z will likely keep their registration more updated than they have historically as the value of their holdings becomes clearer to all.

Could you please cite something other than theory that supports this expectation?

> If I have a new business plan that I am pitching to investors, and if my projected growth plan includes a need for increasing IPv4 addresses over the next 24 months, what do I say to the investor who asks how I will get those addresses and what they will cost?

First thing I'd do is redirect them with an offer to put them into some fine ocreanfront property in Kansas -- because if they're going to fund your IPv4-dependent growth plan, they'll probably bankroll anything.

> If I could purchase 24 months supply on the transfer market now, but would have to keep ARIN in the dark, and know that I could get the addresses routed by submitting the purchase document to my network provider,  why wouldn't I do that, and isn't it clear that Whois accuracy will suffer?
> Is this situation so unworldly that it can't be envisioned?
> The sole limitation to getting this transaction registered is the ARIN needs test for transfers.
>
> I think it's really quite a stretch to think the needs requirement increases registration accuracy, as you imply.

You are at liberty to doubt. I'm not.

> Remember, if ARIN is doing a needs analysis for somebody, it's because they have already been contacted in reference to the desire to have ARIN book a transfer, right? So if they have already done that, why does the needs requirement enchance contact information accuracy?
> I don't see the logic there.

Please refer to my previous message for a fuller accounting of the various beneficial effects of the need/capability requirement; those other benefits would still apply even for aspiring new address flippers who have been completely open and forthcoming with respect to their whois-related information.

Regards,

Tom