[arin-ppml] Draft Proposal 2011-1 - Comments request - Globally Coordinated Transfer Policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 13 18:08:11 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Bill Darte <BillD at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:
> The policy text reviewed at the meeting was as follows:
> Any RIR's resource registrant may transfer IPv4 addresses to the resource
> registrant of another RIR as long as the two RIRs agree and maintain
> compatible, needs-based transfer policies that exercise Internet stewardship
> consistent with the values expressed in RFC2050.
>
> 1. Identify support or objection

Hi Bill,

Oppose.

> 2. If objections exist, to succinctly identify what they are..and,

a. I'm not convinced we should be contemplating inter-region transfers
prior to ARIN's free pool exhausting.
b. I'm not convinced *any* of the 5 RIRs adhere to RFC2050's "values"
except in a very loose way... which makes it a weak and subjective
place to hang a policy.

> 3. How objections might be concisely remedied in text

"ARIN shall permit the transfer of IPv4 addresses between ARIN
registrants and registrants of other RIRs provided that:

a. Both ARIN and the other RIR agree to the transfer,
b. ARIN and the other RIR have functionally reciprocal inter-region
transfer policies, and
c. Both the offering and receiving registrants qualify for the
transfer under ARIN's normal intra-region resource transfer policies
save that one of the registrants is not in the ARIN region and will
therefore not be under contract to ARIN."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004