[arin-ppml] Just a reminder of some quick mathematics for IPv4 that shows the long term impossibility of it

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri May 13 11:48:43 EDT 2011

On 5/13/11 6:30 AM, William Herrin wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Survey says: NAT.
>>
>> That does not put the other 4.5 billion people on the internet.
>
> The half billion or so who've joined the Internet behind NATs this
> past decade seem to think differently. Who am I to disagree with them?
> Who are you.

There are enough ip's for all the nats to site behind either, it's not
rocket science... maintaining large numbers of parallel addressing
planes the require state-management for egress has a real cost and those
things have nothing like the scaling properties of the stateless v4
internet you grew up with.