[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 19:39:25 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Martin Millnert wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> On May 12, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
>>> As far as what you term a non-operator speculator, you see the risk of gaming the needs analysis.
>>> The same risks lead to not-notifying ARIN and continuing to use the addresses under the purchaser's name, leaving Whois in more disarray.
>>
>> That is a potential risk that some will take, whereas others may
>> decide to avoid doing speculation in this particular market.
>>
>> One other point regarding transfers from a party with actual need -
>> the risks may increase depending on any policy constraints on the
>> supplier of the IP addressees (e.g. if you qualify based on need,
>> but the party you're getting them from does not have that amount
>> of space in contiguous blocks that match policy constraints, or if
>> you are seeking a small number of addresses which is less than any
>> minimum size requirement, etc.)
>

> How do you value need in terms of $ ?
> Allowing correct price discovery is essential for any market to function well.
>
> Perhaps it is possible to simply binary stamp a buy request approved
> or rejected, before it can be allowed to bid on objects on the market?
> Essentially saying 'trader X has been approved for the purchase of /21
> worth of IP addresses', or something like this.

That function is available today as I understand it.

You can submit a standard request to ARIN and get your approval. Of course,
while ARIN still has space to issue, they will simply issue free-pool space
to you upon approval, but, once they are out, you will have the option of
taking your approval to the waiting list and/or the transfer market.

Owen