[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 12 15:04:12 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> I'd argue the reverse, actually. If there is a needs basis then the top N ISPs have an advantage in that they are already experts at manipulating the needs basis. (And it really is manipulation, because any of them could actually get by with much much less than they already have if the "need" took into account things like forcing customers to use NAT)
>
> One could argue, for instance, that *with* a needs basis Comcast might end up holding nearly all the space... but without a needs basis it might be an investment banking firm instead, who'd then lease the space out to move providers than just Comcast.

Matthew -

   If (for argument) we accept the premise that the "invisible hand" of a well-
   functioning market will result in more efficient resource utilization, then
   would it also be the case that ARIN should not issue additional IP address
   space from the available pool based on need, but instead employ a market
   function to improve the overall efficiency of resource utilization?

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN