[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:21:06 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:57 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>[...]
>
> ARIN has a moral, if not legal (the legal status is somewhat unknown) to continue to provide
> services to the original legacy registrant of certain resources. That obligation is non-transferable.

This statement disturbs me, and I do not support it.

There's a worldview about the "ownership question" in which this is a
valid view, but we do not have community consensus that that's the
best worldview to have, and in particular I think it would be
endangering the community stewardship role ARIN and other RIRs are
supposed to have to be this exclusive.

It's reasonable to suggest that RSA, LRSA, or some variant RSA for
*current* transfers is a reasonable minimum expectation.  Asserting
that it's necessary for pre-existing transfers, particularly those by
acquisition, where WHOIS was not properly updated but the business and
usage are legit, seems ... improper, at this time.

I expect ARIN to accurately reflect reality, and not attempt to retcon.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com