[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 13:18:29 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I still don't see the connection between my proposal to drop needs requirements for transfers and the participation rate of DNS whois or the UK land office.
> I may be missing something obvious, though.

I believe he is arguing that if you turn address policy into a free-for-all (as in your proposal), like
DNS, it will decrease, rather than increase whois accuracy. I hadn't thought of this consequence, but,
now that Tom and Paul have brought it up, it does make sense.

> My whole goal is to increase accuracy in Whois, and I am not relying on any financial or price mechanism for that increase.

And now there is evidence that your proposal would likely have the opposite effect.

> I have not argued that pricing will increase registration, I have argued that pricing will ensure productive use.

Which also remains in dispute and unproven.

> I have no policies related to private registries, if you are discussing the idea of private registries, then I have some context, but that discussion would not belong with this subject line.

Those, too, would seem contrary to the goal of whois accuracy.

Owen