[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 13:20:25 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Martin Millnert wrote:

> Owen,

>>> Well, you'd potentially destroy uniqueness if the other party and its
>>> ISPs disagrees and continues to use the addresses.
>>>
>> That is a theoretical risk today with hijackings. I fail to see the difference.
>
> Well, in your case *the RIR* is the one doing the hijacking, if it
> acts against the will of the ISP it takes numbers away from.

The RIR is not hijacking, it is reclaiming a community resource from someone
using it outside of the policies set by the community, just as squatters would be
evicted from land if the owner pursues the issue prior to the expiration of
the time limits in the adverse possession laws.

Indeed, by the community policy definition, it is provider B that is doing the
hijacking.

Owen