[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 06:17:40 EDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 8:15 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Sorry, it was Owen's concept that these numbers had no exclusive right to use, and thus the sale was a legal fiction.

Interesting... John described my concept accurately, but, you came up with some completely different
concept and called it mine.

> (I'm not sure now as the post was long and not included, sorry if I am still being unspecific.)
> I'm sure you know that ip addresses show up as listed assets on asset sales.

I was not denying this.

> Microsoft payed $7.5 million for some addresses.

I was not denying this.

> I'm tired of the academic arguments about their status as just a valueless string of numbers.

It's not an academic argument.

> I suppose I could use 1-800-Flowers on my PBX as an extension number, and that makes those numbers valueless.

I didn't say they didn't have value. I said there was no such thing as an exclusive right to use an
integer.

> Maybe the judge should have said exclusive right to advertise them on BGP?

Even that would be beyond his jurisdiction.

Owen