[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 11 23:09:29 EDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 7:46 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
> The discourse below belongs in 2009.
> Events have moved beyond your decisions about what is legal fiction and what is legal fact.
> You can question the intelligence or judgement of the bankruptcy judge, but not his power or authority.

Mike -

  Can you be more specific?

  If you are referring to Owen's remark that anyone can make use of any IP
  addresses that they wish in the configuration of their own equipment, I
  am unaware of any framework which would allow enforcement of a federal
  order which specified that "thou shall not configure equipment with IP
  address block x.y.z/nn, because exclusive use of it in configuration
  files of all devices in the global Internet has been given to party ABC"

  It is an interesting exercise to consider how such a contractual right
  could ever be provided, given the distributed nature of the Internet.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN