[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed May 11 22:59:58 EDT 2011

On 5/11/2011 7:55 PM, Jonathan Fernatt wrote:

> I keep seeing seeing this argument from you Mike. I honestly can't
> understand why you think the needs requirement is such an obstacle for
> a company with a legitimate need for addresses that they would have to
> avoid ARIN altogether.

My issue with the needs requirement post-runout is that the 3-month
rules are still in effect for new and recent entrants... this means that
no matter how hard it is to locate a block that's for sale and
successfully bid for one, you're only able to get 3 months worth of
space unless you've had space for at least a year.

The original argument that it just requires filing some paperwork every
3 months to continue justifying additional space no longer works when it
isn't just filing some paperwork to get space from a free pool any more.

I have several policy proposals pending that attempt to fix this.

Matthew Kaufman