[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 11 20:05:05 EDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> My reading of the bankruptcy documents leads me to the conclusion that the bankruptcy judge found that Nortel had the exclusive right to transfer the addresses,

Correct. That is stated in the judge's Order, and I have noted that
such a finding is consistent with ARIN's assertions and is expected.

> To me, this means he was convinced that ARIN had no rights over transferring the addresses, although ARIN has rights over reflecting that transfer in Whois.

That's a rather interesting conclusion, as the judge actually made
no Order to that effect (or even close).  The judge did find that:

"I.  Purchaser has represented that it has entered into a Legacy
 Registration Services Agreement with ARIN with respect to the
 Internet Numbers (the “LRSA”)
 J.  No further consents or approvals are required for the Seller
 to enter into the Agreement, to transfer the Seller’s Rights in
 the Internet Numbers to the Purchaser or to consummate the
 Transaction other than entry of this Order and as set forth
 in the Agreement."

> My argument is that the apparent success of RIR stewardship (although I claim many of the allocated and unrouted addresses represent failures here) over the last two decades is laudable and represents an obvious requirement in the stewardship of free pool resources, but is unnecessary in a post-exhaust age where the price of addresses will ensure efficient use.

That is indeed possible and an excellent question for discussion
and determination by the community.

> I also argue that in the post-exhaust age, conflicts over claims to address rights will likely increase, putting more pressure on Whois to accurately represent reality.

ARIN will maintain the reality of the Whois in accordance to the wishes of
this community.  Parties asserting that they'll deliver you some invisible
numbers for a good price are always likely to find gullible parties, but
actual transfers of entries in the registry will only occur in accordance
with community-developed policies in the region.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO