[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed May 11 18:51:11 EDT 2011

On 5/11/2011 2:12 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> ARIN later revealed the policy utilized to be NRPM 8.3, which requires
> four things which may or may not have actually happened:
>
> 1. Addresses are supposed to be issued back to ARIN and then reissued
> to the recipient, Microsoft, and the bankruptcy docs did not reveal
> this happened in any way.

8.3 doesn't say that. It says "released", and ARIN says the release was
sufficient for their needs.

> 2. Address are supposed to be transferred as a single aggregate, but
> if the addresses were an assortment of netblocks from prior Nortel
> acquisitions, this could not have happened.

ARIN says they read that part of 8.3 as applying to the needs assessment
and NOT to the transfer... in other words the "need" is based on a
single aggregate but >1 block can be part of a transfer. Doesn't matter,
because you can just do multiple serial transfers to get around this if
it is read the other way.

> 3. Recipients were required to sign an RSA, MS signed a modified LRSA.

LRSA is "an RSA". (Not that RSA is even defined in the NRPM... I have a
proposal that fixes this)

> 4. Finally, the requirement at issue here, a needs analysis had to be
> completed by ARIN, which magically showed that MS qualified for
> exactly the amount already bid for and negotiated the sale of.

Needs assessment is under NDA, so we'll never know.

Matthew Kaufman