[arin-ppml] Draft Proposal for Needs-Free IPv4 Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue May 10 20:05:20 EDT 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
>> Is there a policy which says that once allocated, addresses must continue to be used?
> But where is that in the NRPM?

Per NRPM 4.1.7  (Section "RFC 2050"):

"ARIN takes guidance from allocation and assignment policies and procedures set forth in RFC 2050."

RFC 2050 states: "IP addresses are valid as long as the criteria continues to be met."

This would indicate that despite the criteria being provided in the
context  of a new allocation, the actual IP assignment or allocation
remains "valid as long as the criteria continues to be met".

(I believe I already answered this question earlier on the mailing list, but
repeat it here in case it is useful in consideration of the policy proposal)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO