[arin-ppml] Draft Proposal for Needs-Free IPv4 Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue May 10 18:51:07 EDT 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

>>> The "skipping extra procedural step" sounds a lot like failing to issue the addresses back to ARIN for the designated transfer to MS, ...
>

> > As noted before, ARIN routinely recognizes M&A mergers after the fact under the
>  >policies that were applicable the time of the merger.  Prior to May 2010, this
>  >means that an organization that acquires substantially all of the the operations
>  >of another organization would result in the transfer of the resources per NRPM 8.2.
>  >We usually have to perform such updating of registration records when an organization
>  >that hasn't been maintaining records comes to ARIN for the first time.
>
> Hi John,
>
> I wasn't referring to the ex post facto 8.2 transfers, I was referring to 8.3 requirement to release the addresses to ARIN for subsequent transfer to the directed recipient.

My apologies - I thought the "skipping extra procedural step" was
a reference that ARIN somehow uniquely processed this transfer with
respect to the treatment of resources held by legal predecessors.
We did not treat this any differently than done with any other
organization coming to ARIN with evidence of past M&A transactions.

> But just to be clear, if a company came to ARIN today with evidence of mergers and acquisitions which occurred prior to May, 2010, and that entity currently had no use for the addresses, would ARIN aprove the prior 8.2 transfers and allow the holder to sell the addresses?
> (Assuming there is evidence of transfer of network assets which used the addresses when the mergers occurred.)

Yes.  ARIN would treat the request in accordance the M&A transfer policy
in effect at the time of the transaction.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN