[arin-ppml] Draft Proposal for Needs-Free IPv4 Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 10 14:58:29 EDT 2011

On May 10, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Hi Owen,
>
>> Transfers outside of policy are indistinguishable to ARIN from hijackings. If the
>> recorded recipient is no longer utilizing the addresses and they have been hijacked,
>> ARIN has a responsibility, IMHO, to reclaim those addresses and issue them to an
>> appropriate party through standard ARIN policy.
>> Owen
>
> But these transfers do happen, and for ARIN to declare them all hijackings, even though legacy holders have no agreement with ARIN to notify them of transfers, is a recipe for the ignoring and increasing irrelevance of whois.
>
> I hate to keep harping on this, but the bankruptcy docs clearly say these addresses were allocated to Nortel's "predecessors in interest" in the early 1990s.
> Since ARIN became notified that the recorded recipient was no longer utilizing the addresses, why didn't ARIN excercise their responsibility to reclaim those addresses and issue them to an appropriate party through standard ARIN policy?

First, the entities in question weren't necessarily defunct and I suspect that Nortel would
have completed an 8.2 transfer if ARIN had contacted them prior to the bankruptcy. By the
time ARIN became aware of the issue, M$ was already involved and the right thing to do
was to process the transfer under 8.3 as if the 8.2 transfers had already occurred. Since
the 8.2 transfers would be rendered moot by the subsequent 8.3 transfer, skipping that
extra procedural step at that point basically made sense.

> Because there is no standard ARIN policy which would allow them to reclaim legacy space.

ARIN has and will (hopefully) continue to reclaim legacy resources that are held by defunct
organizations.

Additionally in the case where the registered organization still exists, ARIN should reclaim
resources that organization is no longer using to prevent hijacking and abuse.

If ARIN informs me that section 12 is inadequate for these purposes as currently written, I
will propose policy to rectify that problem.

Owen