[arin-ppml] New IPv4 Transfer policy

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue May 10 14:31:10 EDT 2011

On 5/10/2011 8:26 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On 5/10/11 8:16 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> Microsoft, a company with 80K employees, could not have possibly
>> provided justification that would have resulted in 50% utilization of
>> 500K additional IP addresses in 1 year.  Are you proposing the company
>> grow 4 times it's existing size in 1 year?  The only possible
>> justification would be if they were buying them to reallocate to
>> customers in a network the same way that any LIR does.
>
> I don't have any particular interest in the outcome but with all due
> respect you don't have any idea how they intend to utilize them, and
> address space utilization on the basis of employee count is specious
> enough to be discarded out of hand. It's obvious that you've never been
> a customer of microsoft's hosting platform or their SOAS business if the
> only possible conclusion you can draw is that they're going into the LIR
> business.

Eh, a betting man, are you?  One thing I love about these challenges
is that history is going to show that only one of us is right.  I'm
betting on the mathematics.  Your betting on a guesstimate - I think.

A couple years from now, one of us will be right.  If I'm wrong, I'll
have no qualms about standing up to have people say I told you so and
throw vegetables.

If your wrong, however.....

Ted