[arin-ppml] transfer conditions

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue May 10 10:18:26 EDT 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 9:36 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>> On May 9, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> All of the versions of the LRSA, and all of the modifications of "The RSA" are "an RSA"
>>> I wouldn't like it, but obviously ARIN does not like forcing the recieving party to sign an RSA,
>> No, they're fine with "an RSA", just not "The RSA and Only The RSA"
>> Matthew Kaufman
>
> When I say and see "RSA" in the 8.3 transfer policy; I take that to mean
> the unmodified, standard RSA signed  for new allocations by ARIN.
> And "LRSA" to be the special modified RSA for legacy holders.
>
> Do you suggest ARIN staff have taken a liberty to not implement it in
> that manner?

It is not implemented as you suggested above - it is a standard RSA by
default.

> I expect transfer recipients to be required to sign the RSA equivalent to
> the standard RSA signed by receivers of new allocations.

As I noted, a transfer will almost always meet these expectations.  However,
if there are legacy resources involved and a standard RSA will not work due to
conflict of terms with governmental requirements such as a federal, state or
provisional authority, court authorities, etc.) ARIN may utilize an LRSA or
modified LRSA so that the transfer can proceed.  This is unlikely to be a common
occurrence, but does happen, just as we sometimes have to modify the LRSA for
governmental entities.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO