[arin-ppml] New IPv4 Transfer policy

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue May 10 02:02:46 EDT 2011

On 5/9/11 17:11 CDT, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Ask ARIN
>
> Financially, the fees for the block of numbers that Microsoft got
> from that transfer are nothing in comparison to what they paid for
> it, and Microsoft is also known for spending tons of money on
> useless stuff. So there must have been some difference between
> the RSA and the LRSA that made Microsoft choose the LRSA and the
> only thing I can think of is the LRSA is less restrictive in some
> manner.
>
> I suspect we need to have ARIN modify the LRSA. The LRSA was sold
> to us on the basis that it was the same thing as the RSA without
> the annual fee. Obviously, the Microsoft lawyers found out that
> this wasn't true. ARIN has a lot of explaining to do, here.
>
> Ted

I'm not sure what you feel you were sold.  However, the details of the
LRSA are not secret, have been published for sometime, and there is more
than just a difference in fees for Legacy ISPs.  Note: Legacy end users
pay the same annual fees as any other end user.  So, your view on the
difference, or lack there of, in the fees can vary significantly
depending on your perspective. There has been a FAQ regarding the LRSA
for sometime as well, the current version is at;
https://www.arin.net/resources/legacy/

It provides an excellent summary of the LRSA, for those who aren't into
recreationally reading contracts. :) I know the LRSA, and the RSA,
almost put me to sleep when I had to read it as part of getting my
organization to sign them. :)  I only survived with the assistance of
multiple caffeinated beverages. :)

I'll also add that a number of improvements have been made in the LRSA
since its initial version, and a number of these improvements have been
integrated into the RSA as well, for the benefit of everyone who has
received resources from ARIN.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952