[arin-ppml] transfer conditions

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue May 10 00:50:23 EDT 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 9:36 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>> On May 9, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> All of the versions of the LRSA, and all of the modifications of "The RSA" are "an RSA"
>>> I wouldn't like it, but obviously ARIN does not like forcing the recieving party to sign an RSA,
>> No, they're fine with "an RSA", just not "The RSA and Only The RSA"
>> Matthew Kaufman
>
> When I say and see "RSA" in the 8.3 transfer policy; I take that to mean
> the unmodified, standard RSA signed  for new allocations by ARIN.
> And "LRSA" to be the special modified RSA  for legacy holders.

Well, since "RSA" is not currently defined in the NRPM anywhere, it could mean anything they want, I suppose.

Note that even the "normal RSA" gets modified for certain entities, and the LRSA is also often "customized"

> Do you suggest ARIN staff have taken a liberty to not implement it in
> that manner?

That is the only way that the public statements made regarding the Nortel/Microsoft transfer make any sense. There's evidence that "a LRSA" was signed and evidence that "policy 8.3 was followed".

> I expect transfer recipients to be required to sign the RSA equivalent to
> the standard RSA signed by receivers of new allocations.

Well, that isn't what has happened, at least once. I have a policy proposal that clarifies what might happen... please comment on it (I'm guessing you would NOT support it, given your position about which RSA should be required)

Matthew Kaufman