[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri May 6 00:38:17 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

> When exhaust happens, even if you have need,  you are going to have to pay
> the price required for somebody to sell to you instead of to another person
> with need, according to current policy.

or wait inline until ARIN gets some more, or use private addressing,
or move to IPv6....

> Attested need will only be the price of entry to the "ARIN auction".
> It won't change the fact that you will have to outbid all the other needers.
> Unless you are proposing that ARIN go to a policy like at APNIC where the
> remains of the free pool are rationed, and you can only get a certain
> maximum amount.

Most of the RIR communities have set a maximum allocation size
historically.  They are becoming smaller as we get closer to runout.

For the record, I am against all attempts in whatever form to monetise
address distribution.

--
Cheers,

McTim