[arin-ppml] Serious question for the list.

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 5 18:16:16 EDT 2011

On May 5, 2011, at 2:58 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:45 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

>>> So we would exclude members of the general public (users) then?
>>
>> Where did I say exclude?  "not an absolute requirement", an "interest in the
>> details" are needed for a "meaningful contribution".  None of that means
>> exclude in my book, it simply means that participation takes effort and if
>> you want people to take you seriously you need to make a effort.  That is
>> true in many parts of civil society.
>
> "Not an absolute requirement" would generally translate to "not important".
>
> Not all proposals related to IP addressing require technical
> knowledge. Some are business oriented such as the proposal to provide
> address for critical infrastructure for 36 mos.  I would argue that

While that is business related, it does require a certain minimal technical
knowledge to properly evaluate the implications of the proposal to the larger
system.

> technical contributions are "not an absolute requirement" to proposals
> such as M&A and a few others and are actually harmful when co-mingled
> with most technical requirements beyond extremely simply and straight
> forward non engineering concepts like utilization.

I disagree. Evaluating policy requires context. Part of that context for IP
address policy is an understanding of the technology and the strengths,
weaknesses, and limitations of the technology. Part of it is understanding
the implications to the larger system of various actions and the likely
reactions to those actions.

Owen