[arin-ppml] Draft proposal that needs some wordsmithing

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu May 5 18:12:36 EDT 2011

Hi David and thanks,

What about a time limit to simply sell to a separate entity upon a resource
review finding of no need?
Although theoretically that sale could be made to an entity who was not
subject to needs analysis,  if the entity is separate, I assume that most
addreses in the market will find their way into use. True they could sell to
a speculator, but I don't believe speculators will make up a majority of the
market, which I believe will be mostly people who geniunely need IPv4
addresses. If we ensure the buyer is separate, at least they couldn't sell
it to themselves, effectively. This would be a tool for ARIN to force
hoarders to sell.

The price for these addresses is estimated to be around $10 now, in an age
of free addresses for the asking ( you know what I mean) from our RIR.
If prices go up after free pool exhaust, as classic economics predicts,
these things will, through sheer power of thier value, find their way to
use, if the market allows them to flow freely.

I just don't think the problem of hoarders is so great that it requires
ARIN's energies to do resource reviews for need at all. I think the price of
addresses will do that far better than the history of  Section 12 recoveries
suggests would happen, without the expenditure of any ARIN time or treasure.

But I would call your rule the "anti-hoarding rule" for future reference,
meaning the imposition of some time to transfer after a determination of
no-need through existing recovery policies.

You are right that I do not wish to do away with needs requirements for IPv6
or ASNs, or the 8.2 transfer policies that apply to those resources.
Regards,
Mike