[arin-ppml] Serious question for the list.

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Thu May 5 14:40:06 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> Mike,
>>
>> I dislike the idea. PPML is compromised primarily of the olde guard
>> that seems intent upon blocking any efforts to commercialize
>> registration services. Even with substantial support, at this point it
>> seems those who are actually in charge of voting on policy would block
>> these attempts until (in an extreme case) they're completely voted out
>> of office. Even with AC support, there has to be concurrence within
>> the Board of Trustees.
>>
> Huh?
>
> Who do you think is in charge of voting on policy?
>
> The members of ARIN elect the board and the AC.
>
> The AC votes on policies and if they make it past last call and the AC
> favors their adoption, the BoT gets a final vote on them.
>
> The AC does pay close attention to PPML and to our perceived will
> of the community. Yes, our perceived will of the community is a
> somewhat nebulous concept, but, I think that is unavoidable in
> a consensus-based bottom-up process. However, if the community
> expresses strong support for a direction contrary to the current
> policy, that support would definitely be considered by the AC.
>
> Owen

Owen,

This is correct, and mutually understood. The current AC perception of
the Burns-Lyon ideology is that the community does not support. It
would take substantial influence and discussion to change gears in
that respect. A bunch of new faces popping up on PPML and supporting
this idea would not change the AC perception of community support or
lack thereof.

Best regards, Jeff

--
Jeffrey Lyon, Leadership Team