[arin-ppml] Fw: Accusationof fundamentalconflictofinterest/IPaddress policypitched directly to ICANN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu May 5 13:33:47 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> If your interpretation is correct, then the request from Depository will die
> due to lack of authority at ICANN.
> Maybe that has already happened, as Owen noted there is no evidence that
> they have acted in any way except asking for input from ARIN at some earlier
> point.

Bingo.

Apropos nothing, I wonder if the NRO is mature enough to take over the
IANA function from ICANN entirely, including the funding. IANA long
predates ICANN. It's current presence at ICANN is more an artifact of
history than a conscious design choice... in 1998 it was a hot potato
that had to go somewhere.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004