[arin-ppml] Fw: Accusation offundamentalconflictofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu May 5 12:07:21 EDT 2011

On 5/5/11 10:05 CDT, Mike Burns wrote:
> Thanks, Daniel. Prior to generating a proposal to remove needs
> justification for ARIN transfers, I found this site with a history of
> APNIC's similar proposal.
> http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-050
>
> I can see that it was a years-long journey from proposal to policy.
> Being that we are closer to exhaust than was APNIC in July of 2007,
> it behooves us to move with more alacrity if this is a proposal that
> finds favor with the ARIN community.
>
> Towards that end I include this link as a succinct review of the
> discussion points raised by the APNIC community, and some responses,
> as a primer to those interested. It is the proposal that was
> ultimately implemented. I think it's worth reading.

For additional background and preparation, you should review review the
discussions surrounding ARIN policies 2008-2, 2008-8, and 2009-1, that
took place in the ARIN community more or less concurrently with APNIC's
discussion of its prop-50.

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2008_2.html
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2008_6.html
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2009_1.html

>  Considering that this last document is the polished result of years of
> prior consideration and discussion, I plan to use it as a model for
> my proposal.
>
> One of the benefits I plan to argue is compliance with APNIC policy,
> so I advance that in the hope that it provides a prior excuse for
> some cutting and pasting! (The compressed timeframe you describe
> being another.)

Compliance with another RIR's policies is nether a benefit nor necessary
in my opinion.  However, harmony among the policies of the RIRs on a
global basis could be and I believe is a benefit.   This is an important
nuance, you would do well to pay attention to it. :)

> Regards, Mike Burns

While I am yet to be convinced that the elimination of the needs basis
is the correct direction for the ARIN community; I want to personally
thank you for taking up the important challenge of leading the advocacy
for this position.  I believe this is an important and necessary
discussion.  Furthermore, I want to beseech the community as a whole
regardless to your opinion on this subject to participate in this
important debate and to do so in a respectful manner.

Thank you.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952