[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu May 5 02:59:26 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM, Warren Johnson
<warren at wholesaleinternet.net> wrote:
> I respect that. But just because you don't want to teach your child that
> doesn't mean it isn't true.  It's not like OIL is allocated based on need.

Hmm, well my experience yesterday waiting in line for 2.5 hrs to get a
limited amount of petrol suggests that occasionally, the petroleum
market fails catastrophically, and when that happens, you can't buy
whatever you want/need from "the market".

> It's allocated based on who can pay for it

and who can get to the pump first, based on my recent experience.

 and the market sorts out that
> price.  IP addresses are a unique resource that happens to be allocated
> based on need.

That's right, and I think it should stay that way.  Needs based
resource allocation has been a "crowdsourced" policy for several
decades.  I see no reason to junk the "wisdom of the crowd" because we
are approaching scarcity.

 There's not many limited resources out there that are like
> that.

Agreed.

--
Cheers,