[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 4 12:51:47 EDT 2011

On May 3, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On 5/3/2011 3:42 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>>
>> Sure... back when there was a free pool, making them jump through the extra hoops every 3 months to show that they're doing the right thing makes (some) sense... but once there isn't, every time they get space might be their last.
>
> Oh, and since the "ARIN Community" is mostly made up of the "haves" and has almost no representation (if any) from the "have nots" I have no expectation that there will be widespread support for fixing transfer policies for the "have nots".

If this is true, it is only because the have-nots have, thus far, chosen not to subscribe to the list and
participate. If you know them and feel they are being substantially disadvantaged in this debate, the
rational solution is to encourage them to subscribe and chime in.

If you are claiming that the "have nots" also "have not" e-mail addresses, then, I have to wonder
if they also "have not" internet connections. If they "have not" internet connections, then, I'm not
sure how far we need to go on incorporating them into the policy making community for users
of the internet.

I would agree that if you truly believe the reason they "have not" internet connections is due to
policies made by this body, that should be expressed and examined carefully. I certainly support
the idea of making the internet available to the widest possible number of people and if the policies
we have adopted are somehow contrary to that, I would be interested in correcting that fact.

Owen