[arin-ppml] Fw: Accusationof fundamentalconflictofinterest/IPaddress policypitched directly to ICANN

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 3 18:47:10 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> Hi Kevin, answers inline.
>> Really?
>
>> You think that the DNS registry system that is in place today is a
>> standard to which ARIN should aspire?
>
> I remember paying $100 for domain names from Network Solutions that I can
> get instantly now for $6.

Unless of course I want herrin.net. The squatter sitting on it wants
$2000. He's not using it for anything and never was. He's just sitting
on it waiting to make a buck.

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> If [the RIRs] are overseeing themselves, why is IANA approval needed for the
> creation of new RIRs?

Because IANA has been charged by the RIRs with verifying the RIRs'
compliance with the rules the public created for the RIRs through the
policy development process. IANA functions as an auditor in this
respect, transparency being critical to keeping the public in control
of the process (bottum-up) instead of some central authority.

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> I have seen Internet policy shaped by large corporations, small town ISPs,
> individuals from all corners of the globe that have no political clout or
> financial influence, and am watching you shape the discussion right here.
> This past week I have seen the head of ARIN acknowledge several points made
> on this list regarding transfer policies, the RSA, and operational
> procedures that may lead to changes in the future. I have a hard time
> understanding your question of who is watching the RIR when you are one of
> the watchmen you are asking about.

Hear hear!

Regards,
Bill Herrin