[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue May 3 18:42:47 EDT 2011

On 5/3/2011 3:33 PM, John Springer wrote:
> I oppose  proposal ARIN-prop-146.
> Comments inline.
>
> On Tue, 3 May 2011, Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> Because I can afford it and have taken the time to find a seller.
>>>
>>> Or were you planning on enacting price controls on the market as well?
>>>

>> No, I think justified need is the only required control on the
>> market. I don't see a need for price
>> controls, but, I do see a need to ensure that people like you do not
>> get excessive address
>> space just because you have greater financial resources vs. others
>> who need it now, but
>> have lesser financial resources.
>
> <bows to Owen>
>
> I see a need to ensure that people who have greater resources do not
> get more additional address space than others who also need it, but
> have lesser resources.
>
> Basically, what is being proposed here, stripped of a lot of heat and
> light is an environment where more resources is a much better
> advantage than currently.
>
> Who wouldn't want that?

I don't have a problem with justified need for transfers. I *do* have a
problem with creating large sets of people who can't even *use*
transfers to fulfill their needs because the 3-month limit *they* are
subject to is a lot different operationally than the 12-month limit the
rest of the transfer recipients are subject to.

I do not see how someone can operate a business that will still need
IPv4 addresses in order to function and yet be limited to only getting
three months at a time via transfer when their competitors are allowed
to get 12 months at a time via transfer.

Sure... back when there was a free pool, making them jump through the
extra hoops every 3 months to show that they're doing the right thing
makes (some) sense... but once there isn't, every time they get space
might be their last.

Matthew Kaufman