[arin-ppml] Accusation of fundamental conflict of interest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon May 2 18:17:06 EDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Owen,
>
> The salient point was that the document was accepted by the ICANN Board of Directors.

I believe that acceptance was a formality at the time. However, at this time, since it has
been accepted, it specifies that the ASO/NRO define global policy for number resources
and are autonomous and free from interference by the ICANN Board.

> My reading of this is that while the ASO recommended a policy, it was decided by ICANN.
> You may call that a formality, but to me the relevant positions of authority are clear.
> I grant that it would appear better to the world community if the decision were made with expressed community support.
> Perhaps, as I suggested earlier, both IETF and DoC should be involved in the decision.

You are welcome to involve whoever you want in the decision. Anyone may propose,
comment on, express support for or opposition to any global policy proposal in each
fo the 5 regions. However, to make a change to global policy, it has to go through the
global policy proposal process documented as I described.

> But to ask the RIRs whether to dilute their position by allowing private competing registries is a question asked and answered.

You make this claim and yet I have yet to see a single global proposal to this effect.
I'm not saying I would support such a proposal... I would not. However, you haven't even
asked as near as I can tell. As such, how can you claim that the question has been
asked and answered?

Owen