[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-145 STLS Listing Immunity

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon May 2 18:07:44 EDT 2011

On 02-May-11 15:13, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On May 2, 2011, at 11:50 AM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>> I believe that ARIN has made assurances that this will not be done,
>> but I would support such assurances into policy as well if people
>> think it's needed.
>
> I think it should be written down somewhere, preferably in a place
> that is changed based on community involvement (rather than simply the
> STLS FAQ) in order to keep people from worrying that listing their
> addresses might trigger an audit.
>
> Note that this applies to all listing services, but *particularly* to
> STLS, as the listing on STLS is a direct statement TO ARIN that the
> org thinks it can use its address space more efficiently (which an
> indirect statement, as on eBay, or a hidden statement, as via a 3rd
> party soliciting bids does not)

I'm not sure I understand this concern.  The NRPM allows all sorts of
inefficiencies; for instance, you are allowed to put a public IP on
every PC, which might justify a /16, even though it is "more efficient"
to use NAT, which might justify only a /24.    Listing a /16 you
obtained years ago to do the former is not an admission of past or
present fraud; it's merely an admission that you'd be willing to improve
your efficiency /above /the minimum required if someone offered you
sufficient financial motivation.

(I have some comments on the proposed text I'll post later, but I
figured it was more pressing to address the rationale.)