[arin-ppml] NRPN 8.2 & 2.3

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon May 2 17:45:13 EDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 9:57 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

I don't believe that there has been an answer to those of us who said that while it is grammatically acceptable to decide that a "single aggregate" relates to the needs justification, it is nonsensical to do that, as all needs analyses result in a single aggregate. You don't have a needs analysis at any time where it is found that a need is outside CIDR boundaries. Need assessment has always rounded up to that boundary.

Mike -

 Actually, that is not the case.  Internally, we calculate need based on the
 information provided and that is more granular than a CIDR boundary.

No, the only way to interpret the language of 8.3 is that the reception of the addresses should occur as a single aggregate, which is clear has not occurred with 8.3.
To say the staff or the board acted outside of policy is correct in the MS/Nortel case.

  We follow the policies as written and do not have the freedom reinterpret policy
  contrary to the adopted language.  I indicated this before, but am happy to repeat
  it if that helps you.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran