[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-140 Business Failure Clarification

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Mon May 2 16:08:42 EDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 12:42 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 2:43 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> "Thus, if a company goes out of business, regardless of the reason,
>> the point of contact (POC) listed for the number resource does not
>> have the authority to sell, transfer, assign, or give the number
>> resource to any other person or organization. The POC must notify ARIN
>> if a business fails so the assigned number resources can be returned
>> to the available pool of number resources if a transfer is not
>> requested and justified."
>>
>> The main point of that paragraph is that if your company's network is
>> terminated (as part of a general company shutdown) you, as the POC,
>> don't get to keep the addresses as some kind of severance pay. Your
>> suggested text frankly just muddies the waters further.
>
> Another suitable rewrite might replace those two sentences with:
>
> "An individual shall not have the authority to retain, sell, transfer,
> assign, or give the number resource to any other person or
> organization solely because he is listed as the point of contact for
> an otherwise defunct organization, nor shall the organization cede
> such authority to said individual except as is consistent with these
> transfer policies."

If that's the only point of this section then yes, your rewrite seems appropriate. But then it might be even better to simply have a section that explains that when you act as a POC you are acting for the organization and if you don't have the authority to do so then you shouldn't be acting as the POC either.

But we'd still need to remove the suggestion that ARIN is able or supposed to be out reclaiming addresses from "failed" businesses before they're all the way dead.

Again, my point being that I want people to be able to read the NRPM to predict what ARIN will do... in the case of a bankruptcy proceeding ARIN will NOT be going and reclaiming addresses all on their own, I suspect.

Matthew Kaufman