[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-144 Remove Single Aggregate requirement from Specified Transfer

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon May 2 16:16:02 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>> ARIN-prop-144 Remove Single Aggregate requirement from Specified Transfer
>> Proposal Originator: Matthew Kaufman
>>
>> Modify Section 8.3 as follows:
>> Change "can demonstrate the need for such resources, as a single
>> aggregate, in the exact amount which they can justify under current ARIN
>> policies" to "can demonstrate the need for such resources in the amount
>> which they can justify under current ARIN policies"
>
> Hi Matthew,
>
> IIRC, the source of that gobbledygook was that we didn't want folks
> splitting up aggregates and selling them off piecemeal. Unless we can
> find consensus on a better way to word that requirement, I would
> support the offered change.
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin

But that's the point I'm making; the aggregates don't exist as such; they've
_already been_ split up:

mpetach at pat1.sjc> show route terse 4.0.0.0/8 | grep \* | count
Count: 46 lines

mpetach at pat1.sjc> show route terse 8.0.0.0/8 | grep \* | count
Count: 488 lines

mpetach at pat1.sjc>

Almost nobody announces their "pure" aggregate route only; so why would
we insist that address transfers would have to be done in a more pristine
manner than that in which the blocks are already being treated?

Putting it more simply: 8.0.0.0/8 is already split into almost 500 pieces
in the routing table; allowing those 500 pieces to be transferred to other
companies has no intrinsic impact on the routing table size.

That's why I think removing the single aggregate requirement is
needed.

Matt