[arin-ppml] Accusation of fundamental conflict ofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

Ray Hunter v6ops at globis.net
Mon May 2 14:53:52 EDT 2011

No one owns the addresses today. They're just 32 bit numbers. That's
all. Nothing more. Nothing less. No one ever owned the addresses. They
have zero intrinsic value.

The only reason they are perceived as having any value today is the fact
that several million Internet users all around the globe have consented
to respect ICANN (and in turn the RIRs) coordination of IPv4 address
allocation in order to make those 32 bit numbers globally unique, and we
can't manufacture any more numbers.

As I stated, today's Internet is consensus-based. I repeat the word
"consensus." Should I say that again? Maybe not. I think you get the
idea though. China Telecom and China Mobile accept the authority of
ICANN, just like everyone else. They have by far the biggest user base,
and yet they also have the smallest allocations (relatively speaking).
Likewise, not for profit, educational institutions, and governments also
respect the authority of ICANN.

If you or anyone else would like to start up a private commercial IPv4
registry to register IPv4 addresses that are globally unique for
connection to a Global Private Commercial IPv4 Internet, I don't think
anyone will stop you. They may even encourage it to take the pressure
off the Public Internet.

One simple reality is that some regions and countries have far higher
allocation rates of IPv4 addresses per head of population than others.

The US has 41% of current IPv4 address allocations = 5.5 addresses per
head of population.
See http://www.bgpexpert.com/addressespercountry.php for details.

There are going to be an awful lot of people crying "foul," especially
if this market mechanism is only applied internally at ARIN level (which
relatively speaking has the highest allocation rate per head of
population in the World). Where's their fair share?

I therefore find it highly unlikely that you, or I, or anyone else, will
ever ever gain consensus from the majority of current IPv4 Internet
users that in order to remain connected to the Public Internet, or to
grow their user base, they have to participate in a commercial market to
obtain the right to be allocated an IPv4 address (whilst most users in
some countries have already been allocated one or more "for free" on an
"as-needed" basis).

Any attempt to impose a commercial market on IPv4 addresses will very
likely result in the destruction of the general consensus that made the
Public Internet possible, and thus risk fragmentation or even
destruction of the Public Internet. In other words, attempting to
extract any monetary value from the scarcity of the IPv4 address space
is likely going to completely destroy the value of the Public IPv4
Internet, without ensuring any (smooth) transition to a single global
Public IPv6 Internet.

As for the discussion on a (financial) incentive to move to IPv6:

Seven alternatives straight off the top of my head that would achieve a
similar effect of adding a strong incentive to migrate to IPv6 would be:
1) adopting an open market for IPv4 addresses
2) CGN. It's going to be so awful that it will become the IPv6 killer app.
3) The US Federal government mandates it. If you want to do business
with them then you're going to comply. This is also already true in
India and China too.
4) Ask Ben Bernanke to divert a small amount of money from the various
Federal Reserve's Open Market Operations schemes to buy up any IPv4
addresses that hit the market to create artificial scarcity and drive up
prices.
5) The IETF could deprecate RFC 791 and move it to historic status.
6) Allocate the last few IPv4 unallocated addresses and declare "game over"
7) Ask ARIN to prevent any and all transfers that are motivated purely
by financial gain, and instead insist that such participants return IPv4
allocations to the unallocated pool "for their benefit of the Internet
Community" once the existing allocation is no longer needed.

IMVHO 7) would be consistent with the historical policies of "allocation
on an as-needed basis" and would not require any significant change to
policy.

I'm not attempting to influence the decision of the ARIN community in
any one particular direction, but the "free marketeers" certainly do not
have a monopoly on ideas, and I personally doubt whether a market based
approach is any more practical than the alternatives, no matter how
crazy they sound.

regards,
RayH