[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-144 Remove Single Aggregate requirement from Specified Transfer

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon May 2 14:19:07 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-144 Remove Single Aggregate requirement from Specified Transfer

> Modify Section 8.3 as follows:
> Change "can demonstrate the need for such resources, as a single
> aggregate, in the exact amount which they can justify under current ARIN
> policies" to "can demonstrate the need for such resources in the amount
> which they can justify under current ARIN policies"

I totally support this.  The weekly CIDR report shows that people aren't
aggregating their blocks as is, and public shame does nothing to change
that trend.  Requiring a single aggregate during transfer or allocation does
nothing to prevent the recipient from splitting it into tiny fragments seconds
after they receive the allocation, and turns the existing policy into
a toothless
dragon.  This will simply make policy fit the demonstrated real behaviour
of networks in the real world.

Matt