[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-3: Better IPv6 Allocations for ISPs - Last Call

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon May 2 13:47:34 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:05 PM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> The ARIN Advisory Council (AC) met on 13 April 2011 and decided to
> send a revised version of the following draft policy to last call:
>
>  ARIN-2011-3: Better IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

> 7. Adds language to limit initial allocations to no more than a /16
> (6.5.2.1(b)) and to limit subsequent allocations to no larger than a /12
> (an organization may apply for additional /12s, but, no single
> allocation larger than a /12 can be made at one time) (6.5.2.1(e))
> (community concern)

I am opposed to this draft policy.  The idea of handing out /12 blocks,
and potentially *multiple* /12 blocks to an organization is ludicrous if
this protocol is to have any hope for longevity.  :(
I think the largest block that should be allocatable should be a /20;
that would still allow for 6rd deployments using /56 allocations for
end sites, which is reasonable for a transition technology; if they
want full /48s, they can start with a /56 during the 6rd period, and
then once their upstream goes fully native, they can get a natively
routed /48.
With a /20 as the shortest prefix allocatable to an ISP, that still
allows for a million such allocations, which is likely to last us
considerably longer than the 4096 /12 blocks espoused by this
proposal.

Matt