[arin-ppml] Accusation of fundamental conflict ofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Mon May 2 12:45:48 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> I understand and appreciate that ARIN has faithfully fulfilled its
> stewardship role, and I am in the camp of don't fix what ain't broke.
>
> But times are changing, these issues are upon us because the promise of
> gradual transition has failed and the problem of exhaust has arrived.

>or are these issues upon us because some folk want to make money?

>-Mc Tim

If the transition had happened, these issues would be moot.
As the transition has not happened, these issues result from elementary
economic principles which are ignored at our peril.

Who, excepting spammers and the like, would argue or commit fraud over the
control of IP addresses in an age where they are free?

When they are not free, things change fundamentally.

Recognizing that people want to make money is a very good start when
appreciating the realities of markets.
That recognition can lead to effective mechanisms to establish trust.
Such as having a neutral party like an insurer provide title insurance after
reviewing claims of ownership.

Regards,

Mike