[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-2 (Was: Forcing POCs and other contacts to act through a "blacklist")

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun May 1 18:55:01 EDT 2011

On 30-Apr-11 21:47, William Herrin wrote:
> Personally, my opposition to 2011-2 was that "proactively looking" was
> too open-ended. I don't want ARIN proactively going after legacy
> registrants looking for reasons to separate them from their IP addresses.

I don't either, provided the legitimate registrants at least make a
reasonable claim of still using them.  OTOH, I /do/ want ARIN to go
after "abandoned" address blocks, nearly all of which are legacy for
obvious reasons.

> I could get behind a softened proposal compelling ARIN to act on
> externally reported and well documented lists such as
> http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop.lasso with an expectation that
> hijack + inability to reach a registrant who asserts legitimacy with a
> reasonable probability of truth = revocation.

Such reports should go to the head of the queue, but there's enough
abandoned or forgotten space out there, and some that would be returned
if only someone were to ask nicely, that IMHO it's worth ARIN dedicating
some ongoing resources to the task.

> In other words: ARIN shouldn't go looking for trouble, but when
> trouble lands on its doorstep it might be nice if they had better
> policy tools to deal with it.

What do you think needs to be added to/improved in NRPM 12 for this?

I'll grant that it's pretty restrictive as it stands, but so far I
haven't seen any complaints from ARIN staff that they can't do what they
need to do.