[arin-ppml] If we would pursue a transfer policy without needs justification...

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun May 1 01:57:58 EDT 2011

On May 1, 2011, at 6:23 AM, Frank Bulk wrote:

> If the community does ever debate a transfer policy that eliminates need
> justification, there should be some verbiage that the selling organization
> and its successors would not be able to receive more IPv4 space from ARIN's
> free pool unless there were exceptional circumstances.  Otherwise an org
> could be set up to justify space and then sell, show need, rinse and repeat.

A similar provision exists in APNIC's transfer policy which makes selling
organization ineligible to receive any further IPv4 address allocations
or assignments for a period of 12 months after the transfer (or until APNIC
reaches its austerity phase with 1 final allocation allowed per organization
from their final /8 of space) <http://www.apnic.net/policy/transfer-policy>

I'm expressing neither support or concern over the provision, but believe
as "running code", it's information that the community should be aware of
in this discussion.

FYI,
/John

John Curran