[arin-ppml] Interesting personal experiences

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun May 1 00:28:22 EDT 2011

Matthew and Bill,

It was very interesting to read you feedback, and as a matter of fact I
have contributed my own below. But before we get into the details, I
have to say that our own personal experiences in this matter are mostly
irrelevant to future policy about legacy holders. We are geeks, we are
not representative of the legacy holder population. Owen, this applies
to you, too.

If we had to bill ourselves the way we bill customers, we would be
bankrupt.

>>> Michel Py wrote:
>>> it's about the gut reaction about a new recurring fee.

>> Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>> Agree. This is why I don't have any end-user IPv6 space of
>> my own still. Sure, I'd love to configure up my own
>> globally-routable IPv6 across the local microwave IP network
>> I have, but that particular hobby already uses more $/month
>> out of the budget than I should be spending, so $100/year
>> isn't going to go to ARIN for this.

> William Herrin wrote:
> I coughed up the $500 a few years ago for an AS number
> to multihome my legacy addresses and I pay the $100/year
> as a result. If IPv6 usage ever takes off, I'll cough up
> the $1250 too, but $1250 is a steep barrier to join a
> system whose current usage is, well, negligible.

Here's my part: I coughed up $500 a few years ago for an AS number (AS
23169) to multihomed my _home_ 6bone prefix. Maybe these years are more
than "a few", now :-(

Technically, I could have scrounged a re-whoised AS from RIPE following
an AS merge, but half the fun was to see if ARIN would give one to me,
and I did not embellish my application for it. I stated that that I had
2 tunnels, one with HE and the other one with Viagenie and ARIN took my
$500 setup and gave me my AS.

What has not changed since then is that IPv6 multihoming through tunnels
is nothing more than a lab experiment. I had a very nice setup, BTW:
some tunnels terminated in a c7507 and some other into an Olive PC, both
of which were iBGP peers, of course. Heck, what do you do for fun on
your home network when you're a CCIE going for JNCIE; it's a lot safer
than messing the office network, as only one user will complain about
downtime and she sleeps in your bed.

Anyway, at some point reality kicked in too, and it turned up that IPv6
multihoming through tunnels was not worth $100/year so I decided to
write off the $500 initial investment and returned my AS to ARIN.

> I don't mean to imply the fee is unfair... it isn't.

I don't think anybody serious argues about that.

Michel.