[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 24 12:36:26 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Chris Grundemann
<cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 03:07, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> WRT reluctance on the part of the buyer... beggars can't be choosers.
>> There are only so many addresses which will be on the market at any
>> given time. Addresses that aren't under contract may end up selling
>> for less than addresses under contract but they'll still sell. The
>> recipient can use the addresses as soon as I sign a letter of
>> authorization. It's not a big deal if the completed transfer paperwork
>> takes a little while as ARIN validates my claim.
>
> The primary concern that I have heard raised (and did not catch myself
> on initial thoughts) is not the time that ARIN paperwork might take
> but rather that the outcome may not be what the recipient was
> promised.
>
> A scenario for illustration:
> Org B needs addresses.
> Org A tells Org B that they have addresses.
> Orgs A and B come to an agreement on price, etc.
> Org A writes an LoA for Org B to begin using the addresses.
> Org A files an LRSA with ARIN.
> ARIN finds that Org A is not authorized to hold nor transfer the
> addresses in question.
> Org B now has a number of problems...
>  - wasted time
>  - wasted money
>  - using addresses that they must return
>  - etc...

Hi Chris,

So you offer an ARIN validation service for a fee. But I don't want to
pay a fee. I might not find a buyer at the price I want. When I find a
buyer at the price I want, I want him to pay the fee. No hassle for
me. Shall ARIN validate for free so we can avoid this problem as well?
Perhaps they should guarantee that they won't revoke addresses if the
validation shows fraud so that folks can feel safe about asking ARIN
to validate the registration?

How far does the slippery slope slide?

Look at it in real estate terms: You don't produce a deed in order to
list a house for sale. You check the tax registration and unless it's
funny you proceed. The deed only shows up at closing after everything
else is done. And everybody understands that the deed must show up at
closing. If it doesn't, the seller is in breach with the normal
remedies at law.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Sweeting, John
<john.sweeting at twcable.com> wrote:
> I just want to point out that every single AC member is
>equally committed to the priniciples of openness and
>transparency. There are AC members with over a decade

Hi John,

Elected office is indeed meritorious civic service. However, Scott has
gone beyond the minimum. By publicly sharing his thoughts on the
proposals and encouraging discussion and debate surrounding those
views, he has demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to openness
that I think deserves praise. He sets a standard than any present or
future AC member could aspire to.

> of duty to the community and for them to be
> slighted is just not right.

Praising someone for going above and beyond slights the folks who are
meeting the minimum requirement? Yes, I suppose it does. Tough.

Regards.
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004