[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:26:30 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 03:07, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> WRT reluctance on the part of the buyer... beggars can't be choosers.
> There are only so many addresses which will be on the market at any
> given time. Addresses that aren't under contract may end up selling
> for less than addresses under contract but they'll still sell. The
> recipient can use the addresses as soon as I sign a letter of
> authorization. It's not a big deal if the completed transfer paperwork
> takes a little while as ARIN validates my claim.

The primary concern that I have heard raised (and did not catch myself
on initial thoughts) is not the time that ARIN paperwork might take
but rather that the outcome may not be what the recipient was
promised.

A scenario for illustration:
Org B needs addresses.
Org A tells Org B that they have addresses.
Orgs A and B come to an agreement on price, etc.
Org A writes an LoA for Org B to begin using the addresses.
Org A files an LRSA with ARIN.
ARIN finds that Org A is not authorized to hold nor transfer the
addresses in question.
Org B now has a number of problems...
 - wasted time
 - wasted money
 - using addresses that they must return
 - etc...

I am not trying to argue one way or the other, just pointing out the
piece of this that eluded me at first in case others missed it as
well.
~Chris