[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Mar 24 01:39:46 EDT 2011

On Mar 23, 2011, at 8:40 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 00:40, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have heard from a number of people the concern that some legacy
>>> holders are reluctant to sign an LRSA because they perceive it to
>>> require giving up rights to use the address space as they see fit.
>>> So I think the question is whether the community thinks it would be
>>> worthwhile for ARIN to develop a process to validate an address
>>> holder's legitimacy, the same way they do for the LRSA today, but then
>>> simply provide some sort of pre-qualification document to the holder
>>> while he goes out looking for a party to transfer the block to.
>>> Ideally, IMO, this pre-qualification could be upgraded to a full LRSA
>>> with just a couple signatures (i.e. when the 8.3 transfer transaction
>>> is otherwise approved).
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Would an organization that wants to preserve some (potential
>> perceived) rights by not signing an LRSA intend to use the ARIN
>> transfer process?
>>
>> It is probably true that everyone has a price, and at a high
>> enough offer an organizations point of view can be altered,
>> but if the offers of compensation that use the ARIN transfer
>> process get high enough, those that were previously reluctant
>> will swam to ARIN to sign the LRSA to "cash in" quickly while
>> they still can (if they ever intended to so).
>
> I suspect there are some who think they can get higher prices
> transferring outside the ARIN process.  Time (and likely lawsuits)
> will tell if they're right.
>
> But I'm more interested in those who aren't sure if they want to be in
> the ARIN system, but are more than willing to find a willing buyer and
> sign an LRSA to cover their space (for 5 minutes while they finalize
> an 8.3 transfer that's already approved).  But to get to that point,
> they need to prove to potential transfer recipients that they're the
> legitimate holder of the address space they say they have.

If they are intent on transferring their space, there's nothing lost in
signing the LRSA. If they don't want to sign the LRSA, I see no reason
ARIN should be seeking additional ways to help them take advantage
of new policies to monetize their space. If buyers want to have that
assurance up front or demand a lower price, I think that is a matter
for the market to negotiate.

> I'd rather make it as easy as possible for such folks to transfer
> their space to someone who needs it, is willing to pay for it, and is
> willing to work within the system (under RSA).

I'm all for making it as easy as possible within limits. Providing an
assurance service without a contract goes beyond those limits.
You're basically talking about operating a title insurance agency
where you have no contract with the holder of the title you are
insuring.

Owen