[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-137 Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Mar 23 20:14:49 EDT 2011

On 3/23/2011 2:19 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:24, Matthew Kaufman<matthew at matthew.at>  wrote:
>> On 3/23/2011 1:16 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> Would you support equal distribution in an environment where need exceeds
>>> availability? If not, what
>>> mechanism would you support for distributing space in such conditions?
>>
>> Highest bidder.
> How would the RIRs be expected to valud/bid for the numbers?

Last I checked, the RIRs have enough money to do all sorts of other
things... why not also bid against each other for address space? (Even
easier if they're just proxying bids from people who need the space
badly enough)

> I suspect that by the time any global policy can be enacted to
> allow distribution from IANA all regions will have need.  Trying
> to determine which need is greater is likely more complex
> and politically charged than a simple equal distribution.

Highest bidder conveniently solves this problem without all the ethical
complications.

Matthew Kaufman